Hospital Discharge with the Freedom® Portable Driver
The Freedom portable driver powers the SynCardia temporary Total Artificial Heart while giving patients significant mobility. It is approved by the FDA and Health Canada and carries the CE mark for use in Europe. The Freedom portable driver can be carried in a backpack or shoulder bag or wheeled on a small cart. It allows clinically stable Total Artificial Heart patients to be discharged from the hospital to wait for a donor heart at home.
When Can I Go Home?
Once you’ve completed the following steps, you’ll be able to go home using the Freedom portable driver. Because these steps vary by patient and hospital, you should discuss them with your medical team.
1. You become clinically stable and meet discharge criteria.
2. You and your caregivers complete training.
- Learn how to clean the driveline exit sites and change the bandage.
- Learn how to operate the Freedom portable driver and how to change and charge batteries.
- Learn how to recognize and respond to alarms.
- Practice switching to the backup Freedom portable driver.
- Demonstrate understanding of the Freedom portable driver through written and hands-on tests.
3. You complete out-of-hospital excursions with the Freedom portable driver.
4. Assessment of your home or local residence is conducted to make sure it is suitable for your discharge.
5. Local resources, such as emergency personnel, are notified and trained.
6. You receive
- Guidebook for Patients & Caregivers
- Freedom portable driver discharge kit that includes a backup Freedom portable driver and accessories
7. You schedule hospital visits to be made after discharge.